Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fraser Island - The largest sand island in the world.




Grant and I are taking our boys and my parents to Fraser Island for the first time this weekend. In case you didn't know, Fraser Island is located along the southern coast of  QLD approximately 200km north of Brisbane. The island is considered to be the largest sand island in the world at 1840 km². For a short period the island was known as Great Sandy Island and was later known as Fraser due to the stories of a shipwreck survivor named Eliza Fraser. (If you have the time it is interesting read on the story of Eliza - she certainly left an impression!)

Maheno Ship Wreck on the Eastern Beach
Grant and I have both been over a number of times in the past and are very much looking forward to returning. My parents have asked me what there is to do on Fraser and the answer is simply - too much to fit in on one visit! We will be taking our 4WD over so that is the one activity I think Grant is looking forward to the most. There is Pile Valley, the Scribbly Gum Forest, 75 Mile Beach (take a guess as to how long this beach is??), Indian Head, Maheno Shipwreck, Lake McKenzie, McKenzie's Jetty plus much much more. I was fortunate enough to be asked to supply some images in the recent  brochure All About Fraser, the lead image in the post was one of them.
 
Scribbly Gum Forrest


We will be staying at the beautiful Kingfisher Bay Resort, where Grant and I spent some time on our Honeymoon and more recently I stayed with the fabulous crew that is Bluedog on their Fraser Island Photography Tour. 

One of the main reasons we are heading over there during Winter which some might say is not the most ideal time of year - especially since this year Brisbane's Winter is MUCH colder than we have experienced in quite a while - is because the day we return, I will be flying out of the country and heading to Cambodia. This trip is again with Bluedog on their Cambodia Photography Tour..... but more on that later....... For this reason we decided some quality family time away was in order and Grant is certainly in need of a holiday.

I'll be packing my camera gear however as this is a family holiday not a photography trip I may not come back with as many images as last time - which will not necessarily be a bad thing as it will have meant I have spent loads of quality time with my family. <3


Now off to start packing.....

 


All information on Fraser Island sourced from Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible images here Neat. Fraser is is amazing. A year of adventures for you for sure x

    ReplyDelete